Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Entering the Desert

Since I was a young lad my parents were in ministry--youth, Sunday school, men's and women's ministries, etc. My Dad was studying to be a pastor. Sometime in 2004 he felt like he was being called to start a home church in the north Georgia mountains--the heart of the Bible belt. Summer 2005 my family made the move.

I was 21.

What 21 year old moves with their parents?

I had a job opportunity to work with a world renown luthier who was based in the same county where my parents were moving. He recently added a small recording studio to his facility and, after talking with him, was interested in expanding his business to include sound system installations. It was a dream job!

Within a few months of moving, he lost the years long battle with cancer. When he died...his business started to slowly die.

I tried to move back to Florida. Unable to move, I felt trapped in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

I was in culture shock.

I felt lost.

This time became a radical redefining of who I thought I was. I was stripped of everything, laid bare.
 I had to learn who I was in Christ. Years later I learned from Rob Bell that we're human beings not human doings. I defined myself by what I did, by what I do. So many of us do this. We hear the question, "So what do you do?"

I unknowingly entered the desert. The next few years became my Harvard and my Yale, like the whale ships did for Melville. The first six months or so were by far the most trying for my family as we moved to new area and started a home church.

This blog will be about this desert experience.

Eight years later, I'm now a catechumen. In hindsight, I see my life leading up to the point in which I enter the Orthodox Church. It makes all the struggles, the intellectual wanderings worth it.

My next post will be on the paradigms in Church history. Hopefully, I will cover how my interest in  postmodern thought lead me to Ancient Christianity.

Until then kyrie eleison.

No comments:

Post a Comment